Monday, September 05, 2005

You Can't Be Serious

Being in Thailand, there are certain things that I miss. Not miss, as in long for, but miss, as in don't read about.

This particular instance is compounded with having lived in New York City for 5 years... where I didn't own a car.

WHAT THE HELL KIND OF GAS PRICES ARE YOU PEOPLE PAYING FOR BACK HOME? JESUS H!

I mean, maybe these prices are exceptionally atypical... but after I saw this, I went and looked, and apparently $4 and up for a gallon of gas is perfectly normal in America.

That means there are people out there who are paying $50 and up to "fill 'er up"!

It costs me $2 to fill my scooter up and drive it willy nilly hither and thither for the better part of a week. I cannot imagine what it must be like to hand the gas station attendant a $100 bill and not get back a single $20 as part of your change... but with a full-blown SUV? I'll bet it happens.

The last time I owned a car, gas was $1.39 per gallon.

I'll tell you how to look at it: Everytime you go to the store, is it really necessary to drag 3,000 pounds of steel along with you? Perhaps you could get to the store equally as well with 20 pounds of steel bicycle?

No comments: