Saturday, September 03, 2005

The New Digs


Since it's been so long since I wrote anything on the internet...

... well that's not true. I've been publishing constantly... just content that wasn't suited for such a family-oriented blog as this one... unless you think that the kids would want to be updated on where the best chrome-pole huggers* can be found on Walking Street. Let me know. (* Gogo bars have chrome poles. Gogo girls hug them. Get your minds out of the gutter.)...

... so I'll mention the new digs.

I moved out of my last place, owned by a police major, and into the Pattaya home of a police general. I was asked to leave by the police major because I had too many Thai people staying at my house. (That would be Ning's (the ex's) family.) Thai people get like that sometime: Certain Thai people are acceptable, other's aren't. Note to Thai people: You are all short and brown and talk funny.

(The funny part is, after I moved out, rumor has it that three Italian guys moved in and... well... you know... three Italian guys. But, of course, to a Thai person, farangs are all tall, fair, and rich. Wonder if they would trade the Italians in for ol' quiet Jil working on the computer with the quiet Isaan peasant family having bar-be-que in the front yard?)

So, although they loved the hell out of me, police major and family couldn't stand Isaanites sitting on their furniture (or stealing it, or breaking it, or making it smell funny... Buddha only knows what they thought), and chucked me straight into the loving hands of absentee-landlord Khun Rangsima, ex-wife of Thailand's top policeman, and cousin of the Prime Minister himself.

Anyway, it's a nice house. Rangsima owns the houses all around me. My neighbors that she rents to are dicks though: Two 90-year-old Americans who go to bed at 7:00 p.m. every night and insist on silence... and call the cops if they don't get it. Apparently Rangsima doesn't like them very much either... so at the end of the year when my lease is up, I'm telling her either I go or they go... and see what happens. They've been in their house for like 10 years though.

Seriously though: Who the hell moves to Pattaya... the loudest, most nocturnal city on the planet, and then goes to sleep at 7:00 and expects silence?

Well, the house is nice, but I'm thinking about trading up in the coming year: Maybe I'll make the annual New Year's Day move an official Jiloliday... at least until I buy a place. Still though, if Rangsima says that she'll kick the two old coots out of the only home they've known for the past 10 years because I don't like them... if only I will stay on for another year... well hell, I can't pass that up.

No comments: