Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I called it. Right on the Money.

Just as I feared, the minor resurfacing of my pool has turned into a major event. Forseen in general, but unforseen specifically was the fact that refilling the pool would bring to light all kinds of problems with the house's water supply.

Specifically, the house's main water line leads directly from the town water supply to the house's water pump, bypassing the monstrous cistern built under the front patio. This isn't a problem when you're taking a shower for 10 minutes, or running the washing machine... or even doing both at the same time.

However, turn on a hose at full blast for 24 hours a day, and pretty soon the little pump (or the entire system) simply goes dry. I'm not sure why, but the pump just "de-primes" itself, and all the water pours out of the system.

Anyway, it was Tui, a while back, who apparently bypassed the cistern for reasons only known to him, and now that needs to be fixed. (Otherwise, my house runs out of water about 4-5 hours after the pump is primed. (Although if I don't want to fill my pool, this probably wouldn't be a problem.)

I did suggest, since the pool and the cistern are right next to each other, that we just run a second pump from the cistern to the pool, and fill it up that way. Apparently that suggestion is under consideration. However, the original problem still remains, so now I have 4 men digging up my flower bed trying to figure out where the pipe from the cistern goes to now (instead of going to the pump).

Anyway, as I type this, I see that that one guy is pulling out a 3-inch wide drill bit, and is making for the brick wall next to the flowerbed.

Sigh.

No comments: