Saturday, September 03, 2005

Mayo Bin Mai Dai

My house is populated by chingchoks - geckos. I encourage them because they eat lots of bugs, but mostly because they are one of the few small things that zip around my house at alarming speeds that don't scare the bejeezus out of me.

The cats love them too. In fact, based on the reactions I have seen, there is nothing more highly ranked than capturing and consuming a chingchok in the Cat's Book Of Things To Experience Before You Die.

This is why, whenever I see a chingchok blissfully hanging out at the place where the wall meets the ceiling, I always let the cats know. It's kind of mean really: The cats can't get the chingchok, but like the Sharper Image catalogue, or the Ferrari showroom, they'll stare for hours... dreaming.

Sometimes there is an honest chance for kitty to have a chingchok chowdown, such as when the chingchok is above a window -- a window with a screen that a cat can claw-run his way up at alarming speed -- and those are exciting moments, but always end in disaster for kitty.

You see, I have learned that cats always land on their feet because they are concentrating on the ground as they fall... not the fleeing chingchok... when there isn't a fleeing chingchok to concentrate on... instead of the ground...

You get the idea.

The worst experiences, however, unfortunately involve me, when I don't see the chingchok I am walking by, but the kitty that I am carrying does... who immediately scrambles up out of my arms and uses my head as a launching platform for an aerial assault... leaving me quite scratched up. This has happened twice. I'm not sure where that puts me on the foodchain. Intermediary perhaps?

Anyway, for my cats at least, chingchoks definitely rank at the top of the list of Interesting Things... right above motorcycle tires, plastic grocery bags, and my toes.

No comments: