Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Thought For The Day

"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are." — Milton Berle

All I could think was: Try translating that one into Thai. Hmmm...

Yahk pen "kohn dai" tah hahk wah mai dai "kohn pen"; po-wah "kohn dai" pen kohn
bahn tee" thee yeun dow. Yahk pen "kohn pen mar" mahk gwah "kohn pen dai mar", ching ching; po-wah "kohn pen dai mar" pen mar mai kuh-ee, po-wah "kuhn pen mar" pen mar meua korn "kohn pen".

Oh... that's just one step above jibberish. Let's translate it back:

I want to be "a can person" in the event that I cannot be "an am person"; because "a can person" is "a maybe person" who reaches for a star. I want to be "a was person" more than "a was not able person", truly; because "a was not able person" was never, but "a was person" was before "an am person."

Oh... You may be inclined to walk into your local Thai restaurant and pull out that quote. Don't bother. (A) The western/Latin letters/words are only approximations for the Thai pronounciation; (B) my choice of words is colloquial, so basically it is a direct translation, meaning it's an English sentence... just written in Thai words, so it makes no sense; (C) the sentence was bascially a word-play in English, before translation, which makes it even more impossible to decipher in Thai.

No comments: