Thursday, September 29, 2005

Apartment Battle

As mentioned earlier, the house I am moving to next door has, behind the garage, a small apartment. It consists of one bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom, and 2 storage spaces. It was my intention to move Mr. Green as my gardner in there. The main house has staff quarters as well, where Toom would be staying.

The first round of the apartment battle was Tui claiming: No... Mr. Green could not stay in the apartment because Tui himself was going to be moving in there... apparently with Rangsima's permission. Well, I put an end to that with one phone call to Rangsima.

Tonight, I found out that Rangsima now intended to put the security guard in the apartment. No problem, I figured, since he and Mr. Green could just room together. That was until I found out that the security guard wouldn't be guarding my house. He would be guarding the other houses.

This is what Rangsima thinks, obviously: I'm renting the house, but the apartment out front is hers, and she can put whomever she wants into it. This is notwithstanding the fact that Ralph (bsf) has his staff staying in it currently. I agreed to move into the house assuming that I would have the apartment in front as well. Rangsima has not told me differently, but has tried twice now to put people into it without telling me. She knows damn well what I would say if she did tell me.

So, I pulled a diplomatic trick on her. I called her up:

"Rangsima, will the house I'm moving into next door have a security guard?"

"No."

"Okay... that's no problem. I'm going to hire one, and have him live with my gardner in the front apartment."

"Oh..." Big pause. "You want a security guard?"

"Of course. I love having a security guard. Don't worry about it though. I'll pay for him. He'll be staying in the apartment out front with my garnder."

"Oh..." Second big pause. "OK."

Rangsima is stuck, and she knows it. She can insist that her security guard stay in the apartment in front, and if she does, I'll insist on staying in the house I'm in now until my lease expires on January 1st, leaving the nice fellow who plans on moving into this house I'm in currently high and dry. Then, on January 1st, I'll move out, and instead of both of her houses full, Rangsima will have both her houses empty.

Rangsima is smart enough to know that that could happen if she wants to make an issue out of demanding I provide a place for a security guard to sleep.

No comments: