Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Getting Back to That Construction Thing

I'm going to take a minute to illustrate my point from yesterday just how much building is going on in Pattaya by picking a random street in Pattaya... oh... say... My own street.

My street is about two-thirds of a kilometer long. When I moved in here in January... almost 10 months ago, it was a quiet neighborhood of houses and 2 boutique hotels... and not much else.

Now, at the corner of the main road and the beginning of my road, there is a 20-story condominium almost all the way built. 50 meters down the road, a row of 6 townhouses are being built. Another 10 meters, a large house is being refurbished into a hotel. Another 10 meters, another row of townhouses is going up. 40 meters beyond that, there is a small mansion being built.

50 meters beyond that, you come to a cross roads. To the left far corner, one of the boutique hotels is building a dozen little bungalows. To the right, 20 meters down the crossroad is a housing development of 30 houses going up. (This was actually already started when I moved in 9 months ago, so it really doesn't count... but there is still construction there.)

My house is about 20 meters past the crossroads. Next to my house is a field/lot. They are building what looks like an access road to the field/lot beyond it, and are probably going to be building another housing development back there. That just started this past week.

After the field next to my house is another group of bungalows going up, along with a big house in the center. Past that, my landlord, Rangsima is building 2 mirror-image mansions that are going to be put on the market for $350,000 each. Then you come to a T in the road. Across from the T, slightly to the right, there is another development with houses going in. Across from the T, slightly to the left, someone is building 3 more mansions... each about twice the size of Rangsima's places.

Again, I mention: Except as stated otherwise, all of these projects began in just the last nine months, and represent about 50% of the undeveloped land on my street. This is just one street. All over Pattaya it is the same: About 50% of all undeveloped land within, oh, 3 miles of the city center is currently being developed.

Funny part: When you get to the T at the end of my road, turn left, and go down the road about 300 meters, you will come to a 12-story big L-shaped apartment building with probably 150 apartments, brand new, all fitted out... and completely empty. Gates locked, parking lot deserted.

Oh... across the street from that empty building, there is a very large development of about 75 houses going up.

Well... I think I've made my point.

No comments: