Monday, September 19, 2005

Ready to be Unleashed on Pattaya

I had one of those, "Hmm... I wonder..." moments. I get those a lot... where sit there and say, "I haven't seen that yet in Thailand... Hmm... I wonder..."

So I went out looking, and yes... you can buy cranberry juice in Thailand. You can't buy Rose's Lime Juice in Thailand, but there is a passable local version.

That means: Cosmopolitans!

Yes... the fruity drink made famous by the snooty gay lounges of New York City is now going to be released upon an unsuspecting public in Pattaya.

In case you don't know, a Cosmopolitan is 1 part vodka, ½ part triple sec, 1 part cranberry, ½ Rose's, shaken in ice and served straight up in a martini glass. Two secrets though: One is to make sure some of the ice is crushed to add just the right amount of freezing cold water, and the second is to put about 10% less vodka than the recipe calls for. Then, you hit on a liquid that tastes like cranberry lemonade flavored water.

I mixed it up in front of Toom, and when she saw what a large portion was alcohol, she cringed. Then when she tasted it, she started laughing... knowing she would be in big trouble in short order if I kept serving these up.

Anyway, I'll meet up with Steve from TQ2 who, even though he is from Brooklyn, hasn't heard of Cosmos, and I'm going to get him in on the game. Soon, Pattaya will be awash in glowing, light pink watery drinks... and all bald-headed football hooligans on Walking Street would just die if they knew that their new favorite pissed-out-of-ones-mind drink was invented and perfected by swish Greenwich Village bartenders.

No comments: