Monday, September 05, 2005

Not Exactly A Nightmare

A recurrent dream I have is being inside of a building (it's different every time -- as of last night, an airport, thanks to a CNN report on flights out of N.O.LA I suppose), and running around trying to avoid something outside of the building (it's different every time, but tornadoes and falling trees factor heavily, and -- as of last night -- Godzilla with big stomping feet) from getting me.

It's not scary, per se. It's more exhilarating than anything... lots of running, diving, dodging, hiding. I can always look up through the roof of the building, and see "it" towering over me. It can't see me... it's mindless, just doing its thing... but it's a hazard I have to avoid.

I've finally figured out that these are 9-11 dreams I am having... avoiding the falling buildings.

It's weird because I was never fearful on that day... just upset and overwhelmed, rather sad, but, yes, exhilarated in a way. It's just not the combination of factors that one would expect to give you recurring dreams, since for me it wasn't life-threatening or exceptionally traumatic. However, I guess that I have thought about that day quite a bit... as everyone has... thinking about what it must have been like to be X, Y, or Z, facing 1, 2, or 3... instead of just hopping in a cab and going safely home.

Well anyway, the dreams aren't recurring exactly. They are different every time... and I can't say how often I get them... but far from every night. Still though, I now have these weird dreams of avoiding big, falling things.

(And before you ask... running away from Godzilla in an airport... leaping heroically over his swishing tail, dodging his big feet, while at the same time, trying to find the gate so I wouldn't miss my flight for Venezuela (connecting to Brazil, of course, with a layover to go shopping for swiss cheese). It was all-in-all a pretty cool dream. No therapy necessary.)

No comments: