Monday, September 12, 2005

It Kinda Bugs Me

I'm finally becoming age-sensitive... as in it is no longer with amusement that I note that somebody is younger (or possibly older) than me. It bugs me that there are congressmen who are younger than me. (I mean seriously... somebody with less time on this earth than I have can get elected to congress? Puhleeze.)

The one that got me last night was that Andre Agassi is younger than me. Shit... I've been watching that guy since I was in college, at least... probably the navy. It really got me since his U.S. Open championship match was all about how old he was. All I could think was, "Yeah... man, it's so cool to see some old dude beating up on the young kids. How old is he, anyway? I forget."

35.

Doh.

So this is what "30-Something" is all about: You are still mentally connected to your twenties, but chronologically closer to your forties. You have to wait until you are 38 or 39 before you can say "I'm in my thirties" and understand that that means something other than "slightly older than 29"... and by then you are far enough away from twenties (and close enough to forties) to start freaking right the hell out about your age.

No wonder one's 40th birthday is so traumatic.

Maybe I'll start giving my age in scientific calculation form: I'm 3.6e+1.

No comments: