Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Main Hurdle

The principal problem I face is the fact that I simply don't feel fat. Oh, sure, I can look in the mirror and gasp at my blobbiness, but there is no corresponding feeling of massivity going along with it.

When I walked out of Navy boot camp with my 60-pound sea bag strapped to my shoulders, I felt like I was barely able to walk without tipping over. Back then, sea bag and all, I weighed 30 pounds less than I do now... and now I can bound up and down the stairs, walk around all day, dance sing and do cartwheels. I'm a little less flexible than I was back then -- can't touch my hands to the floor without bending my knees -- but that's more conditioning and effort than weight, I imagine.

I thought strapping on 90 pounds of fat would be a whole lot worse (50% worse) than 60 pounds of sea bag. I wish it were. That would be more than enough incentive to get me out there and exercising and dieting. Unfortunately, the change has been so gradual that my body has gotten slowly used to it. Apparently I'm a whole hell of a lot stronger than I was in the Navy... it's just that all of my strength is being used to carry my lard around.

Well, I donned this sea bag... now I've got to work to put it down.

No comments: