Sunday, April 01, 2007

New Luxury Tax On Internet Usage In Thailand

From Thaivisa.com:
All internet accounts to be taxed with 970 Baht/month. Hardware dongle required for internet use.

The new internet tax will require all internet users in Thailand to install a hardware dongle from CAT. The dongles can be picked up free of charge from any 7-Eleven outlets in Thailand starting today. Without the dongle, users will be disconnected after 6 minutes of use and unable to access the internet from 23.30pm tonight.
Fortunately, I had to go out and pick up a new dial-up internet card when I woke up this morning, and the lady at the 7-11 store told me about this, and gave me the internet key before I even knew that I needed one. It's going to suck paying the extra money... but it's not so much that it is going to make the internet much more expensive than it is in America.

Oh well. Just another way that Thailand is becoming more and more expensive.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummmmm Jil

Its April the 1st!!!!

I seriously can't believe you fell for this one.

See the one on the bbb.co.uk site about developing smell recognition software for websites and PCs LOL. Maybe you would buy that one too.

555555555555555555555555555555

I am off to dry my nappy now mate

Anonymous said...

Ha! Ha! thats funny! For a moment thier I was gonna guess the Thai government had some kind of spy software thing required of everyone. This way they could control what you see and do. Only the april 1st He he!! From Jakal

Jil Wrinkle said...

P.N.: Perhaps you missed reading the part where I mentioned that I went to the 7-11 store first thing this morning and that I have already received my internet key so that the Thai government could start monitoring my internet connection. It's plugged in and working as we speak!

I can't believe you fell for me pretending that this was real.

Hope you got a dry nappy.

Anonymous said...

LOL OK - but its very bad form (and luck) to perpetuate someone else's' April Fool, unless you have all your toes crossed and are touching your right elbow with your right hand!

Now you need to go to the temple and get some merit to get your karma back.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Really? "Bad form to perpetuate someone else's April fool"? I've never heard of such a thing. Might be a British belief perhaps?

I mean, how can you guide other people to an April Fool link without in essence also perpetuating it? I mean, unless you want to spoil the joke by saying "Click on this April Fools joke, it's really funny." But that's no fun.

I guess I'm just not any good at understanding this Foolishness.

Anonymous said...

Well its a French and British tradition, nicked later by the Yanks. A bit like Halloween!!

2 golden rules:-

1. You don't perpetuate (bad word but I know what I mean)

2. You NEVER do an April fool after 12 noon (mid-day).

You are found "not guilty" on the 2nd count!

In either case the "fool" (poisson d'Avril if you are French) is you!

Issarat said...

Jil,
I liked your funny joke.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Well, P.N., that's quite interesting. "April Fools Rules" if you will. Well, now we all know.