Thursday, April 19, 2007

Just A Thought

Since I "work the night shift" in America, I handle a lot of Emergency Room accounts. I've noticed that the emergency rooms are now brimming with angry, depressed, and odd people sent in by parents and spouses for psychiatric evaluation... and the ER doctors are much less likely to take a chance by putting these people back on the streets than they were before.

Usually when somebody goes psycho, people who knew him/her will say, "Oh, there were a few signs here and there." However, nobody in the past has ever been described by so many people as being so unhinged, been perceived as so dangerous before going on a rampage as we are seeing in the recent news. As a result, America is now super-sensitive about "The Signs"... and are sending people off for "A&R" (as it is called in medspeak — Assessment and Referral) in huge numbers.

That's probably a good thing, of course. I'm just pointing it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats very interesting, I wonder how long it will last. It seems we go from one crisis to the next in U.S. on a daily basis lately. I believe we all know someone during our life that is a little bit off. I know during my life I have known several who had nervous breakdowns or committed suicide. They all had warning signs that we ignored or didn't no how to react to. It's a shame the legal system prevented, getting that kid some real help. From Jakal

Issarat said...

Jakal,
I gotta agree with you. It is funny, you have some good posts. We (the 3 of us) should meet up sometime for piss and fun.
On the post note: The US seems to protect everyone with litigation and kiddy gloves, this Korean should have been dealt with at an early age. Everyplace has bullies and their targets.
I guess what I am saying is that getting picked on as a kid does not justify transforming into a homicidal maniac.
Plus, don't believe all the media says; this guy is just the next Anna Nicole-Smith.