Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Photo Essay By Pui: Songkran Upcountry

These are photos that Pui took on her trip to Petchabun and show a different kind of Songkran than what is practiced in Pattaya.

First, the local ladies do a dance.The local fellows play the music (drums and pipes).The kids light votive candles.Then they visit the soldier statue and pour water on the statue.Then they visit the spirit house and pour water on the spirit house.Then they visit the old people and pour water on the old people.Then the old people tie blessed temple string around everyone's wrists.Then everybody sings karoake...and dances.And yes... the kids go out and throw water around...and cover each other with baby-powder mud.And that is how Songkran is really practiced.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jil (with one L)
What a cool post, it reminds me of when I went up country. It was awesome.
Do you have any big plans for the end of this month?
-Fky

Jil Wrinkle said...

Nope... no plans that go beyond going out for drinks in my spare time and all of my other usual activities.

Anonymous said...

ok, see you relativly soon.

Issarat said...

I really like this post, I like the up-country shit.