Saturday, April 28, 2007

Uh... Oh... I... Uh... Not that I... I mean... Er...

Thailand's safe sex senator urges condoms for pre-schoolers.


Senator Meecha Vira-
vaidya's main goal in
life is stopping AIDS
You'll have to excuse me... perhaps my mind was in the gutter or something, but when I started reading this article's first paragraph...
Aids-prevention advocate Meechai Viravaidya yesterday revealed an outside-the-box idea — finger condoms for pre-school children so that they can get used to them.
... it was quite obvious: Finger condoms? The plastic things that doctors wear on their fingers to keep from smudging microscope slides? Little miniature child-sized condoms? Obviously there's only one (rather disturbing, morally questionable) place to put those: On little miniature child-sized weenies... right?
Meechai said he had received a good result after he put the mini-condoms on his one-year-old grandsons' fingers, as the kids were interested and found it fun. "We must be brave and think outside the box like this, so that attempts at Aids prevention will yield success," he said.
Oh. Sorry.

Boy, is my face red.

(All I could think of was Pui coming up all excited and saying, "Look at this: We're supposed to teach Pot how to use a condom!" And then her handing me a little finger condom and saying, "OK... take Pot upstairs and get his pants off and show him what to do.")

If you stay in Thailand long enough, you start to believe that anything is possible... and come to expect it almost unflinchingly and unquestioningly.

No comments: