Thursday, November 16, 2006

Where Are You From?

There is an old joke (that seems quite fitting even today) that when an American goes overseas, he should tell everyone is from Canada. This is in order to avoid getting hassled by people not so keen on things like our oh-so-successful-and-beloved "war on terror".

I have a better solution: When people ask me where I'm from, I say, "I'm from New York."

America may be hated by everyone outside of its borders, but (1) everyone still loves New York, and (2) I guess that nobody thinks it is polite (or intelligent) to give a New Yorker a hard time about the "war in terror". (Not that I would begrudge them the opportunity, or disagree with what they had to say.)

2 comments:

Issarat said...

I am going to try that...
If you say you are from Argentina; that works very well as the Canada thing is played out.
Just some information. Man, am I bored..have I really only been back for 3 weeks?

Jil Wrinkle said...

Well, I actually AM from New York.