Thursday, November 09, 2006

Best Band Nominee For The 1st Annual Jil Awards

I've started paying attention to music again, now that I've discovered that the British aren't forced to listen to the same crap that American kids are listening to. (Hint to my countryfolk: If the title of song has the word "featuring" anywhere in it, then it is crap.) I check the BBC Top 10, and... lo and behold... it's actually (halfway) full of really good music.

My most beloved discovery so far is Rogue Traders (band site, wikipedia site) from Australia. What a great and original sound they have. They are the most interesting thing to come along since Beck. What they do best is take famous riffs from 80's music, put it into a new punk/techno song and get their Belinda Carlislesque female lead vocalist to belt out lyrics.

Anyway, check out "Believer", "Voodoo Child" (video below), and "Watching You", which are my personal favorites so far.

1 comment:

Issarat said...

nice music taste; maybe the music has something to do with the dismal youth in the usa.