Friday, November 17, 2006

Daily Report: Old Friends Bearing Gifts

I woke up early, but got started on work late. Half a day again. Leftover reheated McDonald's hamburgers for lunch. (Pui bought a dozen yesterday.)

The internet was acting up in Pattaya all day today. (BBQ Bob called me and told me his was acting up too.) In Europe and America, a citywide internet brownout is unheard of. Here in Thailand, well... these things happen.

I took Pot swimming today, and he actually swam all the way across the pool (about 20 feet) unassisted. That's quite a feat for the little guy, as he isn't quite to the point where he is really swimming yet. What he does is more akin to "horizontal drowning."

My oldest friend in Thailand, Willie Cooper, arrived back home today. (Home to Pattaya, that is. Arizona is where he goes to suffer for 9 months every year.) He brought 4 cans of Spaghetti-O's for yours truly. Anyway, he and his wife, Kak, and her younger of 2 sons, Birt (his name is actually "bird", but I'm differentiating based on Thai pronunciation) joined myself, Pui, and Pot, and Stan and Mem out for Friday night dinner at Vientienne Restaurant, which specializes in Southeast Asian cuisine.

Unfortunately, Pot seems to have picked up a stomach bug, and spent the entire meal asking to be excused to go yack. (He's really amazing in that he knows several minutes beforehand that he is going to upchuck. I envy him that skill.) Well, anyway, he obviously didn't eat anything and was a miserable (albeit quitely so) little fellow, and so we enjoyed our meal, but made a quick exit home. (Willie, having been awake for 3 days, was also in dire need of a direct route home.)

So it was home, we put Pot to bed, and then Pui and I watched "The Spy Who Loved Me."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry we did not make it but the money did not arrive and again I got home late. Took a wrong turning in the dark (one U turn too soon) trying to avoid nncoming traffic and got swept onto the Bangkok highway by mistake (once on the slip road could not get off) and it was 15km before I could turn around and get back to where I started. so my 10 min journey home took 1 hour.

Jil Wrinkle said...

I accidentally wound up on that highway coming back from the race track 2 weeks ago. Of course, on a motorcycle, I was able to "bail out" a lot sooner than you did.