Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Hits Keep On Coming

I was going to hold off on putting this band up, because "Jil in Pattaya" isn't a music blog, and I thought perhaps several music-related blog entries in a row might change that fact. But then, I realized that this blog is whatever the frig I want it to be at any particular time, and I am allowed to post whatever suits my fancy. So!

So today we have an entry from Italy, Lacuna Coil (band site, wikipedia site).

When I was growing up, I loved heavy metal because I thought that it was pretentious, overwrought, and powerful, with skilled musicians writing awe-inspiring music. Indeed, I knew... as did we all... that if Beethoven had been around to listen to Judas Priest, he would have played heavy metal too.

Actually, in truth, if Beethoven were alive today, he would have listened to the heavy metal of the 1980's, and found it rushed, cramped, tinny, and slightly spastic. He then would have gone out and formed a band like Lacuna Coil, and showed us all what pretentious, overwrought, and powerful can sound like when done really, really well.

(And man can that girl sing. Jeez.)

Anyway, the video below is "Our Truth" from the LP "Karmacode", which is in its entirety just as good as this single.

No comments: