Sunday, October 02, 2005

Traffic Light Update

Traffic lights all over Pattaya and Jomtien have been turned off (or replaced with flashing yellow, depending). No more long waits at lights. No more cars backed up for hundreds of meters in every direction. Now, all we have is the blissful chaos of a perfectly functioning Thai community intersection, where drivers patiently wait for their turn to meander through and around their driving compatriots.

I am so supportive of this plan that it will be truly fitting that I should meet my end by getting creamed by a 68-year-old Thai lady with big hair who owns a gold shop driving her Mercedes at 70 miles through the intersection of Third Road and Soi 17.

Well, until then, no more sitting on my scooter, baking in the hot sun, while I watch the red digital readout of how much time is left before the light turns green wind its way down past 145 seconds.

No comments: