Saturday, October 22, 2005

My Own Horn Says Beep

Tomorrow marks my 1000th day working for my company. In that short time, I have become one of the fastest transcriptionists on earth.

I asked my team leader what she would define as "exceptionally fast", and she said that she's known transcriptionists who hit 400 lines per hour quite often... "consistently, but not constantly." She has like 20 years of experience, so I think I can take her word for it.

Well, I average constantly 500 lines per hour.

That's an average speed of 108 words per minute of hematology/oncology reports and numerical lab data for 60 solid minutes.

I've broken 600 lines per hour several times. I think that the fastest that I can hope for is to maintain an average speed of 600 lines per hour. That's my ultimate goal. In order to transcribe faster than that, I would have to increase the speed of the dictation up to a speaking speed that would make mis-hearing words quite likely. (I'm already listening to dictations at faster than 100% speed.)

Now, as always, I have to figure out how I can sit down and type at that speed for more than 4 or 5 hours a day.

No comments: