Saturday, October 22, 2005

Ex Executive From My Profession

It was pretty crowded when I got to Bob's for dinner, so Alan and Eric (friends from TQ2) invited me to sit with them. Eric is from Pittsburgh and is semi-retired here but has a restaurant back in the States. He is also part owner of a go-go bar.

When I told Eric that I actually sort of work in Pittsburgh, since most of the medical transcription that I do comes from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Alan was quite surprised. It turns out that Alan was the founder/creator of MedScribe, which was eventually purchased and subsumed and became the core part of MedQuist, which is my company's number one medical transcription competitor. We talked quite a bit about transcribing.

Alan now has lived in Thailand for 8 years or so, and is a stakeholder in the Happy Group, which includes Pattaya's 4 most successful go-go bars. He's also a real estate investment genius, shooting down my belief that making money buying and selling high-end property in Pattaya can't possibly be a money-making proposition.

Alan is building a monster insane biggie house up in Pattaya's nosebleed section. It's so high up that the top floor is going to have 360-degree views over all of Chonburi. He has a website for his house at www.mythaimansion.com. Alan will be able to claim that he is closer to God with his new house than anyone else in Pattaya. Hell yes... I'm jealous. I want a nosebleed too.

No comments: