Saturday, October 22, 2005

Just Because It Bears Repeating

Thanks to DailyKos for reminding me that some things need to be kept in the forefront of our memories...
Later, on the evening of [September] 12th, [2001,] I left the Video Conferencing Center and there, wandering alone around the Situation Room, was the President. He looked like he wanted something to do. He grabbed a few of us and closed the door to the conference room. "Look," he told us, "I know you have a lot to do and all...but I want you, as soon as you can, to go back over everything, everything. See if Saddam did this. See if he's linked in any way..."

I was once again taken aback, incredulous, and it showed. "But, Mr. President, al Qaeda did this."

"I know, I know, but... see if Saddam was involved. Just look. I want to know any shred..."

"Absolutely, we will look...again." I was trying to be more respectful, more responsive. "But, you know, we have looked several times for state sponsorship of al Qaeda and not found any real linkages to Iraq. Iran plays a little, as does Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia, Yemen."

"Look into Iraq, Saddam," the President said testily and left us.

--From Against All Enemies by Richard A. Clarke (Free Press)

No comments: