Sunday, October 02, 2005

More Reasons To Live

Pattaya has opened another Subway sandwich shop (total: 3)... this one only about 5 minutes' drive from my house, at the entrance of Walking Street. It was only 18 months ago that I was pining for a single Subway in town. Well, like everything else in Pattaya, excess is everything.

So grand total, by my count:

  • Subway 3.
  • McDonalds 4 or 5.
  • Starbucks 4.
  • KFC 5 or 6.
  • Dunkin' Donuts 1.
  • Baskin Robbins 2 or 3.
  • Dairy Queen 2.
  • Pizza Hut 1.
  • Pizza Company 2.
  • Burger King 1.
  • TACO BELL STILL ZERO.

Actually, I heard there was Taco Bell in Thailand before, but it failed badly. That's because they didn't open in Pattaya. Oh! I would be a slobbering mess knowing that double-decker tacos were selling in my town.

  • WENDYS STILL ZERO.

That's a bit of a pipe dream though... along with Whataburger and Arbys. It would be nice to have Ponderosa, Red Lobster, Olive Garden... the great upscale American chains, but I won't hold my breath.

Well, Royal Garden Plaza makes a valiant effort at upscale Restuarant Chain dining with Beni Hana and Outback Steakhouse as well as Au Bon Pain.

Give it another 2 years: Already the number of things from America that you can't buy in Pattaya has fallen to only a handful of things.

I still can't get Comedy Central though.

No comments: