Saturday, March 24, 2007

Daily Report: Firefox Technobabble

I got a little work done today, but being the weekend, my regular accounts ran out of work early on and I called it quits after about 2 hours.

I downloaded Firefox today and checked out what my blog looked like using that particular browser. I was able to correct a few bugs — mostly caused by not giving <FONT> tags corresponding </FONT> tags before putting in new <FONT> tags... an HTML no-no. Some other things — such as the standard spacing issues — are only things I would notice, and I'm going to leave them alone.

The one thing that has me stumped is the fact that in Firefox, none of the "style.display.block" attributes work. Therefore all of the little green links that pop up definitions when you roll your mouse over them work, and neither of the popup menus (the map and list of gogo bars) at the top of the blog work either.

The annoying part is that these items work fine in Firefox when you are looking at the preview version of the blog in Blogger, but in the live version it doesn't work. Very frustrating.

Anyway, I spent the evening watching a couple of John Travolta movies... "Wild Hogs", which is the motorcycle, non-drag version of "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Judy Numar", and "Lonely Hearts", which was a movie about the Lonely Hearts Killers. I went on the internet afterward and read about them here, and the movie certainly embellishes and sensationalizes quite a bit, and changes the interpersonal workings of the killers all around. I have to admit it did make for a more interesting movie though. I guess that they couldn't get Salma Hayek to balloon up to 250 pounds to properly get into character.
UPDATE:

I finally located and fixed the source of the problem that people using Firefox were experiencing with my site: Firefox "didn't like" (for lack of a better way of putting it) the DOCTYPE that my blog was using. (You have no idea how much work I had to go through to find that problem.) Unfortunately, changing the DOCTYPE to anything other than the one supplied with my original template caused Internet Explorer to go wrong.

So what did I have to do? I had to try the incredibly risky and brave procedure of putting a "Conditional DOCTYPE" on my site, hiding one DOCTYPE from Firefox, and hiding one DOCTYPE from Explorer.

Four hours of work just so that one of my readers could check out my list of gogo bar websites... and I was happy to do it. Am I a blogger who is dedicated to his readers or what?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you "fixed" Jil. Firefox is a zillion times better than IE6 and a LOT more secure.

20% usage worldwide now and world domination coming soon me-thinks.

Anonymous said...

Oh I should have added YES I now have a list of the houses of ill repute - though its FAR from complete.

If there really were that few I would have exhausted them years ago.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Yeah. I had never used Firefox before... but I'm finding it quite nice, and a couple of aspects have been quite a pleasant surprise.

I'm not keen on the tabbed browsers though. I'll have to look into turning that option off. I need to see all my browser windows down on the toolbar, or I forget they are there.