Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Daily Report: Front Porch Charity

Pui got her Giffarine commission check today for 1,300 baht ($37). She sure is the height of optimism with paydays like that.

Anyway, she proceeded to take her 1,300 baht and buy plants for the house... a goodly number of which wound up decorating my office.

A woman was walking through our neighborhood today, young and pretty, 6-months pregnant, looking for work as a housekeeper. She had slipped in the mud in yesterday's rains and had sprained her knee and was barely able to walk, but was doing her best. The baby's father had run out on her and left her with no food, no place to stay, and no means to survive.

Pui and Go took the girl, named Pun, and gave her food, old clothes, and I gave her some money. I insisted she come back tomorrow, and we would make sure that she didn't go hungry.

Of course, there are thousands of poor souls like Pun in Thailand... probably a hundred within a mile of my house. Pun is the one who showed up on my doorstep. It's interesting to note that she showed up just minutes after I put up the post below this one (titled "An Excellent and Worthy Idea")... "Nobody who has held the hand of a starving African child could be that dismissive." Somebody's trying to tell me something.

In the evening, we went out to Rick's bar for drinks.

A good number of my (admittedly few) friends are leaving. Glen is packing up this week for work in the oil industry. Justin is leaving next week to go start work on his Master's degree. Now it looks like I may be losing Mike and Riza to a job in Australia the week after that. DON"T GO GUYS!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stories like this break my heart. It is the only thing I dont like about Thailand. It seems that we westerners are more caring than the foreign governments. I am glad the lady found you and your family to help her. I believe in Karma and you will have good things returned your way someday. From Jakal