Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Grocery Owners Protest Tesco Express

This seems a bit odd to me.

There are, as an honest guess, about 300 branches of 7-11 open in the greater Pattaya area. There are about 300 branches of it's Chinese competitor, Family Mart also open. That's 600 total. (Just to give you an example of the extreme market saturation, I live 2 kilometers away from Sukhimvit road. Between my house and Sukhimvit road, there are 5 7-11 stores and 4 Family Marts... about one every 250 meters.

Now, the Tesco-Lotus group wants to open their stores in Pattaya, and now the "family-owned" convenience stores decide that it is time to complain?

Hey folks: I'm on your side. I would love to see more Mom-and-Pop operations in my neighborhood selling my grape Gatorade (and I wish you would), but you probably should have declared that you had a problem with multinational conglomerates pushing you out of business about 400 or 500 stores ago.
UPDATE...

I can't believe it worked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah seems wierd next thing you know Bar workers will be unionizing! from Jakal

Anonymous said...

Yeah that is interesting. Family Mart btw is from Japan. Well, actually, so is 7-11. I guess the difference is they are selling fresh food that competes with wet markets. Also, Japanese companies are franchises, so they are owned by Thai themselves.