Friday, March 16, 2007

Daily Report: Many Languages, Plus Indian

Today was an awful day for work. That was because I spent most of the day hooking up my blog so that people from France, Germany, Italy, Korea, China, Japan and Spain pretty much any place on the planet... except for Thailand... could read my blog. That's right: I, Jil, personally translated every word of my blog into six twelve different languages. Thus it behooves you, my reader, to henceforth read J.I.P. in one of the language choices (other than English) that I have made available for you. Thank you.

This evening it was out with Stan and Mem to (what Stan insists is) Pattaya's best Indian food restaurant. If you go to the big Food Mart grocery store in front of View Talay in Jomtien, and look off to the right in the corner, you'll see it: "Tikka Center."

I don't know the first thing about Indian food, so I have to take Stan's word for it... but Stan knows everything there is to know about anything, and if he says this Indian food is as good as you can get, I believe him.

The prices certainly are nice: Not a single thing on the menu is over 130 baht (except for a family-sized chicken tandoori, and shrimp tandoori).

Since I honestly do not know anything about Indian food (this being only my third time eating Indian), I actually grabbed a take-out menu, and marked off everything I ate.

There was papardum masala, which was a crisp flat bread covered with onions soaked in tomatoes and cinnamon; chicken and mutton samosa, which were deep fried bread patties stuffed with seasoned meat; onion bhaji, described as "deep-fried onion with yellow flour and Indian herbs; a bowl of yogurt sauce, called raita; aloo gobi, which was chopped potatoes and cauliflower cooked in a zesty red sauce; shish kebab; chicken tandoori; saffron rice; and a dish called "chicken butter", which was a chicken in a red sauce, very heavy on the butter.

Anyway, we pigged out, and I lost count of how many glasses of red wine I had.

After that Stan and I went back to his house and watched video tapes of a British sitcom called "Bottoms", while Pui and Mem went off to the Thepprasit night market to go clothes shopping.

3 comments:

Svenne Farang said...

Amazing! How on earth did you accomplish this?

Never the less, I can´t see any swedish flag. On the other hand, so what? We swedes speak almost perfect english anyway, right?

Jil Wrinkle said...

Heheh. Svenne, I laugh because my friend Matthias from Sweden speaks better English than I do. I know all about Swedish language skills.

However, your questions:

(1) I accomplished this by creating links to the translated versions of Babelfish (and/or Google language tools).

(2) You are right: Swedish is not yet an option. There was a company called "World Lingo which handled lots of languages (including Swedish) that offered translation services for free... but decided that they should start charging $189 per month for Swedish. Therefore, sorry... you will have to choose from one of the other 13 languages this blog is available in. Although if you would like to send me a check for $189 every month, I would be more than happy to add a thirteenth flag to my collection.

Thanks for writing! Hope to hear from you again.

Svenne Farang said...

Hehe... Well, you know, i´m a little short right now. Hope you understand.