Thursday, March 01, 2007

Drug Exporter Arrested In Pattaya

Too bad. I gave serious thought to doing this myself.

When you have a friend who is paying $400 a month for diebetic medications, and you discover that you can buy the same medications here in Thailand for $40, you are morally and socially hard-pressed not to help out.

And you know damn well that your friend wouldn't even begrudge you charging him $60, and keeping a little money for yourself.

It's not a far stretch to go from thinking about saving a single friend hundreds of dollars a month (and pocketing 800 baht for yourself) to thinking about saving a thousand people hundreds of dollars a month (and pocketing 800,000 baht for yourself).

2 comments:

Svenne Farang said...

You have a good point there. In the media here in Sweden, he mainly been pointed out as a drug pusher and lock him up and throw away the key and so on. I don´t know which picture is most true? I saw a TV program about many people in the USA can´t afford to by the medicine their doctor prescribe for them! In Sweden we have an awkward high cost protection system, which is funded by the government. If a single person has hich medication bills (more than apr. 300 US dollars) the government pay the bills for the rest of that year. Then it start over again next year.

I don´t use any medicine and i´m thankful for that, but I have noticed when in Thailand, that common painkillers and coughmedicine costs about 10 times as much as in Sweden.

Thanks for me, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Svenne Farang said...

Excuse me, of course I mean the painkillers cost 10 times more in Sweden than in Thailand. Sorry!