Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Daily Report: Look In Here

My work day was much improved over what I've been doing for the last two weeks. We'll see if it continues.

Pot, now in kindergarten, is studying much more English... and has even been sent home with some assignments. Today, he had to learn to read and speak the words "look", "Look", "in", "In", "here", and "Here".

I was given the task of teaching Pot by Pui, but for some reason, I'm not able to hold Pot's attention very well. I guess he doesn't take me seriously or something... since we are always playing around together.

Therefore, I gave responsibility of Pot's home English lessons to Riza, who lives 2 houses down. Pui and Go are always hanging out with Riza (who is from the Phillippines, and speaks more than adequate English), and so Pot is going to study with her. (He takes Riza's efforts at teaching him — unlike my own — seriously.)

So, within just 15 minutes of Riza's guidance, Pot was saying "Look In Here!" He also learned the concept of using "yes" or "no" to answer a question, and is (I think) starting to enjoy speaking English. I think that once he starts to grasp little bits of conversation here and there between Pui and myself or Riza, he'll enjoy it more and more.


The $12 hamburger at Bob's weighs
1.5 pounds (smaller available too).
For dinner, it was out to Bob's BBQ for his Wednesday night 185 baht rib special. I took Pot along, but Pui stayed home. While at Bob's, it started raining quite hard, and didn't stop for 45 minutes. When we finally drove off after the rain had slowed to a misty drizzle, only 1 mile down Third Road I found the pavement to be completely bone dry. I had cancelled a quick trip to Royal Garden Plaza because of the rain, and upon seeing the dry pavement, I turned back towards the beach only to be greeted with rain drops after just 100 feet... and up ahead I could see the same deluge that had holed us up at Bob's just 20 minutes prior.

Rain in Thailand is like that.

No comments: