Friday, January 19, 2007

Daily Report: A Relaxing Afternoon

I worked the right amount of time this morning, but was constantly distracted. Phone calls, e-mails, spontaneous desires to look something up on the internet, or talking with Pui or Go about stuff that needed to get done... All of them distracted me from work, and while sat in front of the computer for 5 hours before lunch time, I only did about 3 hours worth of work.

I took the afternoon off. I had Willie and Franky over for lunch. I figured that since both were Arid Zonians, I'd introduce them. Pui and Go put together their standard delicious Thai food lunch of various dishes including red curry, snow peas and chicken, and chicken soup. (Fresh fruit platter for dessert.) I'm sure Franky couldn't figure out how I could manage to get so fat with food like that always being served in my house.

At 3:00, the three of us took Pot down to the pool and played around. Willie had to leave shortly thereafter to pick up the kids from school. He took Pot home.

An American fellow named Tom stopped by the pool and struck up a conversation with Franky and me. He's a property developer who is interested in building an assisted living facility for handicapped people here in Pattaya.

His reasoning is that the cost of such a facility in California (where he is from, and where his handicapped son stays in such a place) is $7,500 per month. Here in Pattaya, you could find better-qualified (and friendlier) staff, excellent medical facilities, and all the amenities of the Western world, but with Thai ambience, and a tropical envoriment... all available at a fraction of the cost.

In the evening, Pui and I went to dinner with Stan and Mem, Mike and Riza to L'Olivier in Jomtien. It's very similar to Cherry Restaurant in approach: Above average decor, excellent food, and reasonable prices. Aside from their all-you-can-eat appetizer buffet, which I don't care for, L'Olivier has food that is as good as... prices that are lower than... and (oh-so-gay) staff that is a thousand times more talented and English-fluent than... Cherry Restaurant. Oh... although Mike would want everybody to know that he hates the silverware at L'Olivier.

After that, Stan and Mem went to meet up with friends who popped in unexpectedly from London, and Mike, Riza, Pui, and myself went over to Rick's bar (Rick is in Vietnam) for a beer with Justin and Rat.

Then, it was home at 10:30 and quickly to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, the 'silverware' is hideous and designed for deformed hands, but again, it is designed to stop people stealing it, who would want something as hopelessly designed as that in their home