Thursday, December 14, 2006

Rest In Peace, Steve Blumenthal

Steve Blumenthal, owner of TQ2, owner of Mermaids Dive Shop, father of 2 young boys, and one of my best friends died today from a massive heart attack at the age of 41.



A memorial posting has been put on at Pattaya Secrets if you want to stop by.

TQ2 is going to be open tonight for a quiet memorial / get-together / final toast if anybody wants to stop by.



I don't know if I ever wrote this in my blog, or mentioned it to anyone before, but I sure thought it often enough: Steve was, above all things, my hero... or more accurately, my role model. He had the life I wanted. He had a beautiful family, a thriving business, and a vast circle of friends. He was a great father, and he had a personality that was impossible to dislike. He had a wonderful house that was filled with loving grownups and happy children. He knew Thailand better than any other Westerner I ever knew. He spoke Thai better than most Thai people, and was one of the few Westerners to become a Thai citizen.

Everything Steve had, I wanted for myself, because I define the life that Steve left today as life at its most perfect, life at its most sweet, and life at its most valuable. He may have left this life early, but he can't have left it disappointed in what he had while he was here.

My lasting homage to Steve will be to live my days with the goal that someday I may have as good a life as Steve had when he was with us.

My deepest sympathies go to Steve's parents, who were in Pattaya today; his wife Mem; his two sons Kevin age 6, and Bobby age 4; and Steve's younger brother Ira and his family, who live in Bangkok. My heartfelt best wishes go out to Bob of Bobs BBQ, Alf of TQ2, and Steve B2 of Mermaids, Steve's business partners. Also, my sincere condolences to Ray, Stan, Don, and dozens of other people who lost their one of their best friends today.

We'll all miss him terribly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am stunned. He was a really nice guy. Keep me posted on events as I would like to pay my last respects. My heart goes out to his loved ones and good friends.

Jil Wrinkle said...

TQ2 will be open tonight for a quiet get-together / memorial / final toast.

Anonymous said...

thanks buddy, will make every effort to be there. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to his family and friends. He spoke highly of both and I will miss Steve.
Man, what a bummer...
The world needs more people like this guy and less of the kind that I run into every day.
Take care of yourself Jil and give Bob my best, regarding this loss.

Anonymous said...

We are a bunch of steve's friends from his college and post - college days. From back east in Delaware, Pennsylvania and NYC. We just heard the horrible news, 9 months later! Steve was great, we all loved him, quite the partier but also a good friend to all. A bunch of us have been emailing about this, really quite sad. I remember when he left NYC to go to thailand, we were all like "YOU ARE CRAZY!" - but he went on to have a great life and build a new one with a new family and group of friends. We even heard his family had all moved to Thailand. Steve, we will miss you, your crazy personality, outgoing qualities and friendship. It is great to see these pics too, to see something of your new life that you built. We are proud as you should have been too. You are missed! Rob, Julie, Jill, Tricia, Stowe, Brage, Sarah, Joe, Fran and the whole Dickenson Freshman year crowd at UofD. 10-26-07