Thursday, December 14, 2006

Daily Report: Life Experience

My life has not seen a lot of death, and has not seen a lot of loss. My family that have passed away have given me fair warning (in many cases, years' worth of warning) of their departures. The single acquaintance that I have lost — to put it succinctly — had it coming, and wasn't really missed.

Today, I had a special person in my life... a continual presence... an entity of certifiable importance... an expected lifelong friend... go from being the person next to me at the bar... go from being the person playing with my own child on the beach... go from being a vivacious life-loving buddy... to being a gray-blue human form which I vaguely recognized on a gurney in an empty, curtained-off corner of an emergency room in Thailand.

I write in that stark lanugage because, in truth, while this may not be my first encounter with death, it is my first encounter with the dead. I have never seen "lifeless" before. I write about it here, now because it is indeed an important life experience. Forgive me if it agitates you. It agitates me as well.

I got the text message on my phone from Ray at 1:07 p.m. I stared at the message for about 3 or 4 minutes, not doubting... but stunned and full of thought. After that, I started flipping through my pictures of Steve on the computer while I called up Stan on the phone and chatted with him for a while. He was crushed, as Steve and Stan go back almost two decades. Then I called Bob, who was at the hospital, barely holding it together. I decided then to head out and join him.

I got to the hospital about half an hour later, and joined a small group of about two dozen mourners. Pui joined me shortly thereafter, and Stan and Mem weren't far behind.

Stan and Mem, Pui and I viewed the body together. Pui and Mem stood back, hugging. I was half way closer. Stan was up close. He broke down sobbing, which took me out, which in turn went back to Mem and Pui. The four of us had a good cry there and then.

After that, it was an hour of standing around, expressing surprise and grief and outrage at the heavens above. And then eventually people started drifting off home... although throughout the day, the crowd of mourners would grow and grow and grow.

In the evening, it was off to TQ2 where all of Steve's friends had gathered. I had talked with Alf and Bob at the hospital earlier, and had recommended that the bar be open, music off, lights on. That's what they did. Of course, it was a crappy evening, but that's what we all wanted. We stood around, made corny jokes, compared ourselves to Steve, and concluded that we were all assholes who should have died instead, and toasted Steve's memory.

Oddly enough, my dear little Pui took Steve's death the hardest of all. Her heart is full of memories of the kindness that Steve paid to her little boy, Pot. While I remembered great times on the beach, or hanging out in the bar, Pui remembered minute little instances of kindness that Steve had shown, and her eyes put forth more tears than everyone else in TQ2 combined.

At the end of the day, we are one friend short of a full load. We shared our misery in the sterile corridor of a hospital emergency wing. We gathered in a ruddy bar in some semblance of showing respect. We cried, we talked, and we even laughed a little. We drank and pretended to forget. We changed the subject, and then returned to it. We had our moment of silence, and then a thundrous salut of raised glasses, "To Steve!!"

In the end, we paid our bar tab and we all recognized the fact that tomorrow... life goes on. What we do with our lives, what we have learned on this day, and what value we assign to this life experience remains to be seen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words cannot express the feeling that rushed over me upon hearing of Steve's passing.
I too have nothing but fond memories of a giant among men (and dancers) at TQ2. I didn't know him as well as his close knit group of friends; but he always took me as one of his own, when I would visit him at work.
Funny, I have his number in my phone and I sent him a 'good bye' SMS text message today from the States. Corny, futile, strange...maybe; but it gave me a sense of satisfaction to at least say good bye, the only way I can now.

I'll throw in a Steve memory/moment. After buying one of his countless rounds of drinks, he took to the mic (after consuming a copious amount of spirits himself) and proudly announced that TQ2 had only ONE 'real' go-go dancer and he went on to say her name and well...
I had a good laugh at that, because all but one of those girls just cannot dance. And Steve was good enough to point out what we all (if we knew it or not) were thinking.
Man, I will miss that guy. Yea, I shed a few tears today and it feels like a cloud has draped its way across the sky. But I choose to celebrate Steve's life, not his passing.
A class act; even when wearing shorts, a tank top and flip flops...that guy out classes 95% of the fucks I know back here in AmeriKKKa.
Rest in Peace Steve-o, and we'll all see you soon.
With respects,
Franky

Anonymous said...

and Kudos to you Jil...without this, I would have never known.
thanks for a window into the place I love.
FKY

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog, Jil. You don't know who I am and that doesn't matter. I just want to say I'm sorry to hear about your friend Steve. He sounds like somebody I would have really liked. I hope you will take care of yourself in the meantime.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Thanks anonymous. I appreciate the sentiment.

Anonymous said...

I had met Steve 2 weeks ago at Mermaids. He directly impressed me with all details he knew about "only an intern" and he offered me some extra instruction about a difficult subject.
We planned this friday.. No, Steve said, friday is too late, make it Tuesday.
So Tuesday we sat together and we talked and had so much fun together. I was impressed by this man! What a warm, friendly, SMILING, life-loving person..
Thursday we were on the boat, when the news came of his death.. Shocked.. And still...
Friday I went to his farewell service.

I am gratefull that I was just in time to meet this beatiful person.
Next month I do the IDC instructorcourse. I dedicate it to Steve, in a brief moment, he inspired me more than anyone in a long time.
He opened my heart for Celebrating Life again...
I wish his family and friends all the best ... celebrate that you had a friend like him, that's worth more than anything in the world. Take care.

Jil Wrinkle said...

It's hard to explain to people who never met Steve just how ebullient he really was. Thanks D.I.