Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Daily Report #1776

I had pizza from 7-11 for lunch, red curry chicken with rice for dinner. I did only half a day (old day, to make it worse), primarily because of a mid-afternoon nap.

Oh... One thing of note today. Cats apparently practice the habit of "don't shit where you eat." The cats don't eat in the neighbor's yard, if you get my drift, and today we received our second complaint from next door.

Based on what I've seen, I knew that it was probably the twins creating more than half of the problems, and off to the temple they went. That cuts the cat population in my house in half, from four to two. Definitely an improvement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I greatly enjoy reading your blog. However, the disposal of your cats is distressing. I remember in your old blog something about you taking one to an empty lot.

I mean no offence--just wanted to comment.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Well, you do have to understand that the relationship between pet and owner in Thailand is a lot more "loose-knit" than it is in America. Most Thai define pets as the animals that you don't chase away from the house when they wander by.

Also, it has to be remembered that Thailand is abundant with rodentia, very large insects, and especially lizards.

The fact is that I probably did better to leave the cat in the empty field with it's abundant food than I did to leave the other cats at the temple where they will be cared for by the monks, but will be competing against other cats as well as dogs for food.

Either way, returning a cat to the wild in Thailand is not the hardship that it would be in a place such as upstate New York... with winters, and a paucity of bite-sized prey.