Monday, March 20, 2006

Out For Dinner

The day Pascal moved into the house down the street from me, I told Pui that on her next day off, we would go to Casa Pascal for dinner. I go there about twice a year... last time was last November. It's far too expensive for regular feedings.

So last night Pui and I went to Casa Pascal for dinner. First we went and played some pool at MegaBreak on Soi Diana. Then we got stuck at a beer bar for about 90 minutes during a torrential rainstorm.

I bought a bottle of knock-off cologne, which is the new article du jour that the vendors are selling. I bought some 'Cool Water' at the Cambodian border last month which isn't too bad, and picked up some 'Drakkar Noir' at some other place, which was about the same. This time I bought 'Joop' for $6, and didn't get a chance to sniff-test it because it was all wrapped up. Eww. (Or as the Thais put it, "Min.")

After the rain stopped, it was off to Casa Pascal. Whenever I take a Thai person there, I always do the same thing: I order food for him or her that I figure she or he will like, and just in case she or he doesn't like it, it is something that I can take and eat myself.

So we started off with a paté and legume ravioli topped with musroom and grape slices. (Way yummy.) Then Pui had pumpkin soup and I had French onion soup. (I wound up eating most of both.) Then I had roast duck with prunes, and Pui had scallops over risotto and mint pesto sauce. (Pui was full by this time, so I got the last third of her entreé as well.)

A $75 meal all told, and I ate 75% of the food. That is more than I am willing to spend more than once every 6 months... but oh-so-enjoyable.

Then, at 1:00 in the morning, I puked it all up. Nothing makes you cringe more than paying $75 for a meal except for seeing $50 of splort in the toilet bowl.

I actually think I ate too much, and that is why I tossed. I was seriously, uncomfortably, over-fed from what was essentially 1½ meals at the restaurant. Granted, I'm sure that one of those myriad ingredients disagreed with me, which caused the upchuck, but with my teflon stomach, if it hadn't been filled to bursting, the disagreement down there probably would have worked istelf out without working itself completely up and out.

No comments: