Friday, March 31, 2006

Chrome Pole Report

Last night was Bob's wet T-shirt contest finals. It was nice to see all the pretty ladies, that was for certain, but since I had Pui with me, I was a little bit more time conscious than at the previous weeks' competitions. We arrived when the doors opened at 5:00, expecting a 6:00 starting time. We ordered some of Bob's food from the kitchen and had a couple of drinks. At 6:30, 30 minutes after the show was supposed to start, Pui started getting restless, so I told her wander down to Boot's to buy skin care products for herself while I chatted with the guys.

At 7:30, Pui and I (and everyone else) were wondering "WTF??"

Just before 8:00, 2 hours late the show finally started. The first round of 15 girls took about 30 minutes. Then there was a 30-minute break. In previous weeks, after the first round, finalists were chosen, and from those girls a winner was picked. This time however, as 9:00 was arriving, Bob said, "OK! Now time for the SEMIfinals."

About half of the bar paid their checks and left, including Pui and I.

No offense to the girls whom we left dancing on the stage, or to the Wet T-shirt contest itself, which was fun, but sitting in a bar for 4 hours and then finding out the show isn't even half over, is asking too much of me. The Academy Awards don't take 4 hours. Bob told us he was waiting for some of the girls to show up, but I think asking 200 people to wait for 2 Thai girls to get their asses out of bed so that they can have the opportunity to win a big pile of money is kind of stupid.

I'm sure if Bob took a vote, 99% of the people in the bar would have told him to forget the contestants who couldn't even manage to arrive 2 hours late, and to start the show.
I can't wait for the wet T-shirt contests again next year. But if next year's contests are as late as this year's were, I'm not going to wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill it was never stated anywhere the contest would start at 6 pm. In all the messages I sent to friends it said the doors would open at 5 pm and food and shows not the contest would be starting at 6 pm. The Wet Tshirt contest has never started at 6pm on the previous weeks it was between 7:15-7:30 before the start. I knew it would be at least 8-8:30 for the start. The fact is people had to get there early to get a seat as if you waited until 7:30 you would not have got in the door. This was the final with over 75,000 bt worth of prizes and money and more contestants and we expected it to end at 10-10:30 pm. This was the once a year grand finally and we were not going to rush it. We know some people may not want to stay the entire time but there is nothing we can do about that.

Sorry if you misread the message but it was still 4 hours better spent than watching a 4 hour movie anyday.

Bob

Jil Wrinkle said...

Hmm... I see I misunderstood about the 6:00 thing. "Shows and food" and not "The Contest".

Well, I did have a great time, but I had Pui with me and she had had her fill by 9:00 and I had to be up for work, and to tell the truth, I was mostly annoyed at not getting to see the winner get picked.