Friday, July 13, 2007

Illegal Workers Shipped Back To Cambodia

I always feel a little sad when I see photos like this.

It is a given that there is no argument more legitimate than that given in defense of a country's borders, and the need of a country to safeguard its economic well-being by making sure that job opportunities are reserved for its citizens primarily, barring exceptional circumstances. I don't agree with it wholeheartedly, but it is a perfectly reasonable assertion.

However, Thailand has the lowest rate of unemployment in the world, and the illegal Cambodian workers here in Thailand are earning $4 or $5 per day... as opposed to $1 or less in Cambodia.

I'm sure that one of you could put forth many good reasons to step up efforts to keep illegal workers like this out of Thailand, but I really can't see how anyone is being harmed by these people working here.

1 comment:

ray said...

Hi Jil,

I think they are generally ok with foreign workers, there are so many from Myanmar there. I think this is because of some current trouble with Cambodia.