Monday, July 23, 2007

Daily Report #1793

I slept in today. Fact is, if there is no work for me on Sunday here in Thailand (that would be Saturday night into Sunday morning in America), then come Monday morning (Sunday night to Monday morning in America), then there really really is nothing to do.

I did get to work though at 11:00 a.m., and slogged through 7 hours of backwater hospital accounts that I am totally unfamiliar with. Most of them seemed to be in Texas. I can figure out the speech of Indian doctors, Chinese doctors, and even Russian and Greek doctors talking with their thick accents... but give me a Texas doctor dictating orthopedic operative reports with his drawl, while half is mind is focused on watching the midnight re-run of "COPS" (Bad boys! Whatcha gonna do?) and I'm just eff-ing tortured.

"The limb was exsanguinated and the tourniquet inflated..." Do you know why I pulled you over? "...incision was used with an extension proximally 2 cm and distally 2 cm to expose..." Is there anything in the car I should know about? "...well encapsulated with 3 to 4 mm capsule thickness..." OK... there's a warrant out for your arrest, did you know that? "...there was some hemosiderin-laden fluid contained..." Berry-25, we've got a runner. FREEZE! "...central and proximal portion resection ..." [siren] woo-woo-woo "...involved removal of some of the patellar tendon and retinaculum..."

Pui's brother is on his way back to Pattaya. I'm actually happy to have him back. He's generally not a problem so far, but Pui thinks he is... therefore, she assumes that I must think he is a problem too, and I'm just being polite by keeping that fact to myself, which in turn makes her all lovey-dovey, because I'm exhibiting the great behavior of "chai dee" and "chai yen" (the good heart, and the cool heart), and most importantly, the practice of "ao chai" (the caring heart) for her family.

It's all the benefits of a good deed, with none of the effort. Gotta love it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to write this one down :-D

Brunty said...

Jil I was a big fan of cops in Australia. It was on late at night and always entertaining viewing, much like Jerry Springer..

Brunty 555

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog, can I ask what you do? Keep up the good work.

Jil Wrinkle said...

I do medical transcription. (See here.)