Thursday, July 26, 2007

Daily Report: Big Red Party

I overslept a little, and took my time getting to work. Early in the morning, my DSL internet connection went down, and — although I switched to dialup — my morning slowed down immensely as I spent half my time working, and half my time trying to figure out what had gone wrong with my connection.

Late in the afternoon, after a solid day of work (and after my DSL finally powered back up), I called it quits... short of my goal, but far beyond what would have been a sad-but-acceptable point just a few weeks ago.


Willie's new bungalow.
In the evening, it was off to visit Willie, who had spent the day moving out of his small, 5,000-baht-per-month bungalow, into a 7,000 baht-per-month ($210) bungalow. Two bedrooms, AC, hot water, and a big ol' kitchen out back... not a bad deal at all.

After that, it was off to Shooters where I met up with Bob, Stan, Navy Dave, Sam, Steve and Steve, and a fellow fresh from Iraq... Big Red. If you want to understand Big Red, imagine Slim Pickens plus red hair, and about 200 pounds heavier; piss-your-pants funny fellow, who was intent on inebriating the world, with him in it. He would pull the "shooter horn", while delivering the punch line, "My ass was clean, but the automatic tampon remover was a bitch!!!" (We rolled on the floor in laughter.)

At 8:30 p.m., I made the declaration that I was done drinking: As soon as my drink was empty, and there was not another drink on its way, I would walk out the door of the bar. At 10:15 p.m., after Big Red had floored most of the bar with shots (with the rest of the patrons making sure that there was always a vodka tonic in front of me), I begged my quarter, and dismissed myself from any further drinking.

I was home and climbing into bed shortly before midnight.

3 comments:

charish said...

Cost of livving is low there huh. I love all the photos you put up. Thank you for the insight.

Steve Loeding said...

wow - $210 for a 2 bedroom bungalow !!! Where is that located ? Are most places priced that low ? Not to get too personal but how much do you pay ? Seems that if I look at any real estate site in Pattaya prices are closer to $800 - $1000 for a place to rent (house, bungalow, etc)

Jil Wrinkle said...

That $210 is unfurnished, and is located about 1½ miles on the far side of Sukhumvit road. For an unfurnished place, it seems pretty reasonable.

I pay 20,000 baht for a 2½ bedroom 3 bath house that is about 2½ times the size and is furnished. Basically, when you rent in Pattaya, as you pay more, what you receive for your money goes up exponentially. So, when you get to the 50-70,000 baht per month range, you can get a house that is 4 or 5 times the size of the one that I have.