Friday, July 06, 2007

Daily Report: Up, Up, and Away

I woke up in the hotel at 4:30 a.m. without a hassle, showered and dressed quickly, had a cup of coffee in the lobby and thumbed through USA Today, and then caught the 5:00 a.m. van from the hotel to the airport to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight from Rochester, New York to JFK.

Here's an interesting bit: My bags were severely overweight (68 pounds and 56 pounds, respectively) by the domestic standard of 50 pounds per bag maximum. However, Thai airways allows 70 pounds per bag on their flights to and from America. I luckily mentioned to the check-in lady that I had packed my bags with the 70-pound limit in mind since I was going to Bangkok. She confirmed the 70-pound limit of Thai Airways in some little guidebook, and said that everything was fine: No charge, and didn't even ask to see my ticket confirming that I really was going to Bangkok.

My flight to New York was uneventful, arriving at 7:10, and having my bags retrieved by 7:30. I rode the Sky Train to the international terminal, and was standing in front of the counter for Thai Airways at 7:45.

Unfortunately, they didn't open until 8:30 a.m. I wanted a window seat for the trip back (didn't get one on the way there), and the nice fellow setting up shop at the counter took my last name and got me an early check-in, guaranteeing my window seat. (I still had to stand around for 45 minutes to make it official, however.)

After I got my bags checked, I went and shopped in duty free for a while: Perfume for Pui, another bottle of whiskey. Then I had breakfast: $11 for a sandwich and soda... looking forward to those Thailand prices again.


The plane to fly halfway around the
world: The Airbus A340-500.
I remember somebody telling me that America doesn't stamp you out of the country when you leave: There is no "exit stamp" from America in passports. I couldn't remember this fact one way or the other, but it is indeed true. (I do suspect that the people at airway check-in do take a quick look at stamps and stuff however.)

Anyway, at about noontime, the plane backed away from the gate, and — yet again, without a hitch — I was on my way home.

No comments: