Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Daily Report: Up And At 'Em

I woke up at 5:00 a.m. this morning, which is a decidedly good thing. In my younger days, I was naturally inclined to be nocturnal. In truth, my body probably still is nocturnal... but my mind and my soul are both morning people now: I just feel good starting a new day with a sunrise.

I blogged for a bit, and browsed my regular set of political websites, and then got started working at 7:30... and worked straight through to 12:30 p.m. A perfectly executed morning.

Pui's brother, named Lawt, as I mentioned before, has moved to Pattaya to work, and is currently staying at my house. My opinion of him has improved somewhat: He's just a typical 24-year-old fellow, trying to be cool and respectable, while some of the habiliment of youth still hangs arond him. He's actually polite to a fault, always bowing and scraping whenever I'm around.

Regarding the arrest for going out with his friends and target shooting with a shotgun earlier this year... bad luck does seem to find him, and he simply is a little bit too clueless to see it coming.

Anyway, he started work as a security guard last night, and got home early this morning after his first day. Pui seems happy, and Lawt seems happy, and... assuming he stays out of trouble... I'm happy.

For lunch, it was out with Pui to Bob's BBQ and Mexican Grill at the Carrefour food court (see review below). I bought Pui a funny T-shirt as well: A drawing of a wiener dog, and the (accidentally, I'm sure) misspelled text below, "I want to be a saucesage", and the dog is sliced in middle like a sausage.

In the afternoon, I put in another 2½ hours of work.

Pui and I had a bit of an argument this evening: She's bored, and is constantly trying to find things to fill her time. Her latest idea is that she wants to get a job... working evenings at a pizzeria. (The Giffarine thing, and the hair styling thing quickly fell by the wayside obviously.) I don't mind Pui being flighty. She has to do stuff in her spare time, and if she gets tired of something and gives up, it doesn't cost me too much, and at least she's out there adventuring. However, a full-time job, keeping her out of the house for long periods of time —for very low pay — especially during the evening — is simply not possible.

Aside from the fact that Pui is trying to replace the boredom of sitting around the house for 9 hours a day with sitting around a pizzeria 9 hours a day, I told Pui that if she were to start a job... especially in the evening... then she wouldn't be able to sit down with Pot and help him with his homework after school; we wouldn't be able to go out together for dinner or bars or do other fun stuff; and, the vacation to Laos would definitely be out. She pouted for a while, and said that she didn't want to go to Laos anyway. (She does want to go... desperately.) However, after a while, she was back to her regular smiling self, and was off to eat and drink with Riza and Go, having forgotten the pizzeria entirely... I hope.

I sat down and watched Spiderman 3 tonight on DVD. I was hoping against hope that the critics were wrong, and that the movie would actually be good. Oh well... I can't get what I want all the time.

2 comments:

charish said...

Jil,
How did you get Spderman 3. I am in the US. I just happened by your blog and have entered you in my favorites I hope you do not mind. I like your views on things.
I am asumming that Pui is your wife. a good job would be may be to look in to Ebay still at home but keeping self busy. Sorry if I am out of place.
Sarah

Jil Wrinkle said...

Hi Sarah.

In Thailand, all of the movies are pirated copies, which are for sale for $3 each. They aren't the best quality however.

Work-at-home opportunities in Thailand aren't very great, and Pui is more interested in keeping busy for bits at a time than doing a real job. She'll find something, don't worry. Thanks for the suggestion though.