Thursday, June 28, 2007

Daily Report: New Faces

I was up at 5:15 this morning... primarily due to my burlap pillow. I had a bagel and coffee for my first breakfast, and then made eggs for everyone when they woke up.


Mom makes breakfast. Vinnie
discovers the towel drawer.
Yup: Got to meet Vinnie for the first time today. He's pretty normal as far as babies go, though he seems to smile and talk a whole bunch more than average. He's starting to walk now, and his parents are teaching him "baby sign language", which actually seems to work. (Babies apparently understand the concept of communication at this age, but cannot form words yet... so if you teach them little signals for things, they will actually use them to communicate.)

Spaghetti-O's for lunch... as good as life gets. I spent an hour entertaining / being entertained by Vinnie.


My dad and his 400-HP supercharged
Corvette-eating Ford Lightning.
In the afternoon, it was off to my father's house with Dan and Nancy (Vinnie's parents, my sister and brother-in-law), and Vinnie. Had a couple of beers, and chatted about nothing in particular. Dad took me out to his garage and had me swing a golf club for the first time in about 15 years. I'm 110% sure that I'm not a 5 handicap anymore. Well, I had planned anyway on approaching golf on Saturday as more of just a day in the park swinging a stick than some important game of skill and concentration.

In the evening, it was down to Hammondsport (one of the prettiest little villages in all of America) for my mother's wedding rehearsal dinner. (Yes... after divorcing 14 years ago, she is getting re-married, thus explaining my reason for this trip to America.) I got to meet her future husband, Paul, yesterday, but got to meet two of his five children today. (All five children — and their families — were at the dinner, but there was only opportunity to socialize with two of them.) First was Greg and Noi from Gainesville, Florida. Noi is a Thai lady with a PhD in linguistics, and she met her husband while studying in Cambodia. Second was Eric and Brenda from California, who met in Botswana while in the Peace Corps.

It's really surprising to meet a family with that much international flavor to it from this part of the state. This really is a poor place, and very few people from here make it out of the country, let alone to exotic locations such as Cambodia or Botswana. I have to give credit to my mother for having found a fellow with an educated, well-traveled family.

Anyway, here is Mike's Thousand Words for the day: The Hammondsport town square at dusk with guitarist playing music in the gazebo.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jil-
Janet Cassidy here. Great photos! I remember visiting the Wrinkle clan in Bath with my parents many years ago.

I recall offering you a quarter if you would run up the stairs naked. (You did, and I still owe you the quarter). I think we were about 8 or 9.

Your dad looks exactly the same--and he still has great legs!

Do people still hang glide off of the huge hill outside of Bath?

All of us send your mom best wishes and years of happiness!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures so far buddy, look forward to seeing more on your return, I guess the camera hot from the snapping.

Anonymous said...

hey Jil how about a google earth link so we can see what the place is like from outer space.. hehe

Jil Wrinkle said...

No Google links yet, Mike... although you can go to this old blog entry to explore my home town from a bird's eye view. (The photos were taken in the autumn however, so Bath is not as green in the aereal photos as it is now.)

Jil Wrinkle said...

Janet... thanks for the well wishes. I will pass them on to Mom. Great to hear from you.

Brunty said...

Hey Jil I am really enjoying your trip home and the pictures. I have no idea and the lay out of the USA but Bath looks really beautiful.

The car is a serious power house by the sounds of it. I have never seen a Ford look like that. Did he give you a drive? Or is it off limits to his son?

Brunty.