Monday, December 24, 2007

Philippines Trip Day 4

A street scene from Epril's village.The Filipino version of a tuk-tuk.The famous Jeepney of The Philippines. (Bald tires are standard.)These are actually rather bland photos of Jeepneys. They can get much more vivid and colorful. Loud stereos and flashing lights on board mean that the tail lights and turn signals must be disconnected at all times in order to preserve battery power.Epril's niece, Doreen... my favorite kid, and cute as a button.I did my Christmas shopping today... I bought teddy bears, clothes, earrings, toys, a stereo, a television, and a washing machine.Doreen with a Filipino icon: Jollibee is the country's popular fast food restaurant, with the world's worst hamburgers.Tonight, the Basamanggas resort, where we are staying, was decked out for a Christmas Eve party. The window to our hotel room was right above the bandstand. Music finally stopped at 3:00 a.m. Went to Catholic Mass for Christmas eve as well... my first Catholic service ever actually. I was expecting Gregorian chants, and instead got guitars and tambourines. Inside were about 600 or 700 faithful, while about 2,000 more stood outside in a light rain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did my Christmas shopping today... I bought teddy bears, clothes, earrings, toys, a stereo, a television, and a washing machine......

You forgot the fridge and the bed.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Heh. That's next Christmas.

Actually, those things weren't too awful expensive. The washing machine was only $140, and I bought that because Epril's mom (and sisters, to some extent) has been washing clothes for 7 people by hand for years... forever basically.