Thursday, December 06, 2007

New Rules On Comments

Readers of Jil In Pattaya know that I've always kept a pretty laissez-faire policy on the comments section. I've let comments that say truly crass things remain as they are, and frequently have responded happily with even more off-color comments of my own.

However, this blog is becoming more widely-known, and new readers are arriving every day, and my site tracking software tells me that a lot of them read the comments section.

I don't want my new readers to get the idea that this is a blog where you can come and be insulting, or that this is a blog where you can come and be insulted by me. It's not that the comments aren't entertaining or funny... or even pointless... it is just that such content sort of discolors the blog and gives it a bit of an angry vibe, which I don't think is good for the long-term success of Jil In Pattaya, and it's just something I'd rather not continue.

So, I'm going to have to call an end to the personal insults we've been throwing around. I never took them personally, and took a perverse pleasure in being twice as nasty and thrice as clever at them as the rest of you, but it's not a good idea to allow the practice to continue.

You are always welcome to come to my blog and start an argument with me any time you want to... we just have to make our points without resorting to personal jibes against each other. Simple enough.

7 comments:

Issarat said...

Good call; it seems Epril is making quite a gentleman out of you after all ;-)

Anonymous said...

Dam, I'm new here and it would really make me feel better about myself if I could abuse you all the time like your good friend Anonymous does. Anonymous is sooooooooooo smart and verbose with a fantastic world view and if he/she feels it right and proper to abuse you why can't I? Libertarian my Arse.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Sorry Dulcify... I know. I respect freedom of speech as much as the next Libertarian.

Certain speech makes some people feel certain ways, cause them to have certain opinions, and gives people certain impressions.

I'm limiting speech to only the civil kind in order to improve the feelings, opinions and impressions that my readers have about this site, not to limit the content of the comments.

Anonymous said...

Good decision, Jill. I've seen too many blogs destroyed by a few anonymous idiots.

Anonymous said...

eh, "Good decision, Jil", that should be of course

Anonymous said...

I am not that "bad" anonymous. I applaud the fact that you still allow anonymous comments because I am to lazy to sign up. Thanks
I also agree about setting the tone of the comments. I also agree that your girl is a positive influence on you and I am very happy for both of you.

Unknown said...

I'm in agreement with Jil.