Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Blug Opdate

I've changed some things around on the blog... hope you don't mind. Some things are gone, other things are added.

I've taken away: The satellite map, the clock, the weather forecast, the currency exhcnage ticker, and the popup-preview gizmo. They caused about 90% of the blog loading time, but were items that were generally not used or necessary. If you miss them, let me know... but I don't think anybody really desparately needs the stuff.

I've added: A complete running list of restaurants I've reviewed and tourist attractions I've visited over on the right side column. (Scroll around a little bit to see them perhaps.) This will be updated every week as I add new entries.

I've adjusted: The number of posts on the main page. It's gone from 50 posts to 8 days worth of posts. I had a lot of posts on the main page before because it gave me more google search hits, which improves readership. Now that I have the readers I wanted, I'm focusing (once again) on improving loading time.

Oh, as always, messing around with the coding always means that something that I haven't noticed is probably busted. If you see something on this blog failing to function properly (besides me, that is), please note it in the comments section.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the temperature - reminded me of how much I miss the tropics while suffering through a miserable Minnesota winter. On the other hand, it reminds me that I'm suffering through another miserable Minnesota winter.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Fair enough. Ask and you shall receive. The weather doohickey is back.

Anonymous said...

Good Job! I thought it was my computer that caused it to take so long to load. Very fast now. I like! From Jakal

Jil Wrinkle said...

Nope... it was the blog.

I had so much fun programming in all kinds of gizmos, and the coding tricks that went with it... hours and hours of work...

It wouldn't have been so bad, but there was so much information that the web page had to draw from other sources (currency updates, weather updates, all of the graphic imagery for the satellite map) that it kept the important stuff (like the blog entries) from loading.

Theoretically, I could have stuck all of the scripts at the bottom of the page, instead of the top, so that they would have loaded after all of the blog entries, but I figured that they really weren't that important any way... so I just got rid of them altogether.

Anonymous said...

It does load a lot faster. I agree about the weather thingie though.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for returning the weather doo-hickey. It's a mixed blessing, as I stated before. But it's nice to know what I can look forward to when I retire to LOS.