Saturday, December 01, 2007

Daily Report: Busted, Not Busted

We slept with the air conditioning off for the first time last night. We probably could have turned it off a month or so ago, but we both enjoy it too much... and besides: I'm the sweat monster. But the weather is cool enough now that I can make it through the entire night nice and dry under the covers with nothing but a couple of fans blowing.

I woke up this morning to find my old WIN98 computer had died. It's a software problem that won't allow Windows to load, so if I'm really desperate, I'm sure I could still find a tech person versed in WIN98 to fix it... but the computer has given me 8 years of faithful service without so much as a hiccup; perhaps it is time to say goodbye... perhaps not.

I had a lot of fun blogging this morning... I found lots to write about. Then, the moment I decided to get to work, I started to feel like crap. Call it a delayed hangover if you will: A big fatty meal (that steak buffet), combined with sugary alcohol (strawberry margaritas) can catch up with me the next day in an ache that goes from the top of my head to the bottom of my gut. So, I climbed back into bed and went to sleep again.

I woke up and watched American Beauty with Epril. I had found precisely one copy of the movie here in Thailand at Tukcom, and immediately taken it to Stan's house to give him as a gift. However, when we put it in his DVD player, it wouldn't load... and therefore the DVD sat on a table in his house, forgotten, for a month-and-a-half. I finally decided to take the useless gift back and took it home. Epril immediately put it in the DVD, and it loaded straight away.

Great movie. One of my favorite movies.

After that, at about 5:00 in the afternoon, I got back to work, and put in 3 hours straight. Then, I went back downstairs and watched "Independence Day" with Epril, which she hadn't seen before... although I practically have it memorized. Still, I hadn't seen it in almost 7 or 8 years.

After that, it was before-bedtime play session with Poopy Cat, and then off to sleep.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jil,
Not really writing to comment but rather asking some advice.
I'm arriving in Pattaya on the 12th for about a month or two (undecided).
I want to buy a computer for my girlfriends 13 year old daughter and do not know where to begin. It doesn't have to be all bells and whistles. Something to interact with the internet, e-mails, homework assignments, games, etc. I'm not even sure if this is a good idea to allow her access to the internet in this day and age but she's a good child and a good student and Mama is protective.
Anyway, I could go to Carrefour or TukCom to purchase. Any recommendations on configuration, model, printer, etc. or best place to buy.
Neither are computer literate.
Thanks,
Richard

Jil Wrinkle said...

I can't really answer your question, Richard, as I have never purchased a computer in Thailand. Tukcom is obviously Pattaya's biggest computer center, but biggest hardly means best.

Perhaps some of my other readers can answer your question if they see this, or when you arrive here, some of the locals who have experience with buying computers here can give you advice.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jil. Will ask around.

Issarat said...

Well, that is one less DVD I will have to carry with me next time.
Congrats on finding it, I didn't have any luck.

MIA= that was me for the past few days...oh well.

Anonymous said...

I've got an old clunker pentium 4 lying around that I could try to fire up if you're interested.

Unknown said...

Thanks JD for your offer but I'm actually looking for new, preferrably a notebook and printer due to the size of the apartment in Pattaya. I wanted to know a reputable place to buy that if it needed servicing I could depend on proper attention with no bs.
Appreciate your help though.