Friday, October 26, 2007

Daily Report: Longing For The PI

I set the alarm for 7:00, as Epril and I didn't get to sleep until 11:30 last night. Epril, as usual, had me bounced out of bed shortly after the alarm went off.

I blogged in the morning, worked for an hour, chatted with Epril for an hour, worked for an hour, to a lunch break for an hour, worked for an hour, watched videos with Epril for an hour, and then worked for an hour... and still just managed to squeak in under my goal for the day.

At 7:00, Geoff and Honey Mae stopped by for drinks. They are heading back to The Philippines tomorrow morning for 10 days. I sure wish Epril and I were going too: After just a weekend there, I miss the place and can't wait to go back. Well... we'll be there for Christmas.

American Chopper, Law & Order, and Mythbusters were on TV tonight, which Epril and I enjoyed together.

4 comments:

Steve Loeding said...

oh oh - do I hear a new headliner for the blog "Jil in the Philippines ?"

Unknown said...

Jil: Off the top of your head can you list a few things that might make the Philippines a better place for a 49 yo American guy to settle down in? After two years, I am starting to become a little jaded with Thailand. thanks. mataho in koh lanta

Jil Wrinkle said...

Mataho,

It was funny: I signed up to a Cagayan de Oro discussion group to find out what resident foreigners thought of the place. All of the things that farangs here in Thailand complain about regarding Thai people, the "Kanos" in The PI said the same thing about Filipinos there: The overcharging, the deceit, the shoddy and uncaring customer service, the family with the "sick water buffalo" needing your help.

But, there are three things I can mention as to why The Philippines is better than Thailand at this moment in time:

One is that the visa situation is much better there. I understand (but don't konw the details) that you can stay up to 16 months on a single tourist visa. The visa rules, ownership rules here in Thailand are driving long-term residents away, and a fine alternative is The Philippines if you want to stay without as much hassle from ever-evolving immigration rules.

Second is the culture. It is much more accessible and easier to grasp than Thai culture. The Christian values there, while perhaps equally frustrating, are at least something that the average Westerner can grasp. You can learn the Thai language, learn all about Buddhism, and all of the holidays, traditions, and even the values, but in Thailand, you are still going to find yourself at a complete loss to understand why things are the way they are at certain times. In the Philippines, everyone speaks at least some English, and they are much more interested in American and European culture than are Thai people. If you have had your share of strange and exotic cultures and new ways of thinking, and want to get back to a world that you can easily grasp... but still want the Southeast Asian lifestyle, the Philippines is the place to go.

Third is the value of the dollar. In Thailand, the baht is crushing all comers... especially the dollar. In the Philippines, I think that the value of the dollar is much better currently.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jil...I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer my query. matt