Sunday, October 28, 2007

Daily Report: The Guy Next Door

I was up early today to put the finishing touches on this pay period, and put in a hefty amount of work before noontime.

I have been using Stan's digital camera for certain photographs since my digital camera died, but it hadn't been very handy since I couldn't get the photos off of his camera and onto my computer: I had to go to Stan's house, connect his camera there, and then e-mail the photos back to myself. (Yes... one of those card reader thingamajiggies would be nice, but my computer equipment is so outdated as to be of actual interest to technology historians.)

Anyway, Stan called and wanted his digital camera back... and I had been hoping to hang into it for a few more days as I have a trip to Malaysia coming up. So, my hand was forced and I finally went out and bought another digital camera... another Sony Cybershot, since I have the photo printer and software installed. This one was only 10,000 baht ($300), instead of the 15,000 ($450) baht version (which I do plan on having a technician look at and trying to fix eventually, if possible).

When I got home from camera shopping, I was standing in my office window looking out across the street and I noticed the Belgian guy in the huge house (whom I had never met before) was out trimming his palm trees. We struck up an across-the-way conversation, and I decided to make his acquaintance, so I walked over to his yard with a couple of beers and we wound up chatting for a while.

He's one of those people you instantly like and envy: One of those people who has had one million-dollar idea after another throughout his life, and has been all over the world. He has a plane parked at the local airport here in Pattaya, and he told me about the new air strip in Ko Chang, and how he had just gotten back earlier in the day from flying down there for breakfast at a restaurant he enjoys.



Stan, Geordan, and Fred enjoying TQ2.
Anyway, in the afternoon, I got a little more work done, and then Epril and I went out to TQ2 to meet up with Stan, Alf, Geordan, Fred, Russ, and Jim. There is a little strife going on with the management of TQ2... specifically between Mem, Steve's widow, and now TQ2's principal owner, and the rest of the partners and managers.

It's really sad to see that happen, but some people see dollar signs and let that get in the way of friendships or good will or common sense. Too bad.

Still though, TQ2 was packed and rocking as usual with a full crowd and the usual bevy of beauties. I still can recommend a visit to TQ2 to say Hi to Alf and Russ and all of the other regulars.

No comments: