Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Daily Report: A Really Busy Day

I was up at 6:00 and got some blogging done. Then, it was 4 hours of work until lunch time.

On my lunch break, Epril and I went to pick up my camera from the Sony repair center (Sukhimvit Road, just north of Pattaya South Road junction, East side of the street). Total cost to repair was 530 baht. I'm giving the second digital camera I have to Epril now, so that she can start taking photos too.

After that, it was off to the costume shop where I dropped of my Loy Krathong blazer to be adjusted and cleaned. (Full tailoring services: 200 baht.) Then it was off to the market to see if the movie booth had found a copy of "American Beauty" for me. They hadn't. From there, it was over to Valentino's for lunch with Stan.

In the afternoon, I got in another 2 hours of work.

In the evening, Geoff and Honey Mae picked up Epril and me, and after going over to Geoff's friend's house (name of Chris, a retired insurance company owner from England) for cocktails, and picking up his wife, Lucky, we (i.e. two couples plus Mrs. Lucky) went to The Tiffany Show. (We had been planning on going for weeks actually... and it was just coincidence that we went the day after I had written about it on this blog.) The show was great, and I'll try to put up another, more detailed post later. I got to see my old friends, Bob and Oad as well.

After the show, the five of us headed out to Gulliver's on Beach Road for a late dinner. We had a nice meal, and enjoyed ourselves. (I'll also write some more about that place when I get a chance.)

Then, finally, it was home at 10:30 to bed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jil,
Your web blog is part of my morning ritual as I sit here in chilly Philadelphia (USA)Pennsylvania and contemplate my return to Pattaya next month. I'll miss Loy Kratong again. It is the only time of the year I cannot get to Thailand.
What does the holiday celebrate and how big of a deal is it in Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular.
What is the Loy Kratong "blazer" all about?
Thanks,
Richard

Jil Wrinkle said...

My blazer is like this: http://www.siamese-style.com/ThaiStyleMensClothing/traditionalthaistyleshirts.html

Loy Krathong is a holiday in which people float ("loy") offerings ("krathong") on water. The idea is to set all of your hopes for the next year, and all of your bad experiences from the past year afloat, along with a few prayers, and hope for the best.

Read more about it here.