Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Daily Report: Meeting New And Old Friends

I was up nice and early this morning, all set to get some work done... only to discover that my ADSL router that connects all of my computers to the internet had given up the ghost. However, it was all a bit confusing: Each of my 3 computers (regardless of which of the router's 4 jacks they were plugged into) stopped communicating with the router at different times. I woke up, and Epril's computer was down. Shortly after, my work computer went. An hour later, my old WIN98 computer went down.

To confuse matters even more, the dial-up modem on my work computer said it couldn't find a dial tone... and unplugging the modem and plugging in a phone confirmed this. That meant no internet and no work at all. Eventually (after 3 hours) I discovered that the phone line leading from the ADSL splitter to the modem had somehow stopped working over the past week or so as well... swapping out the wire gave my modem a dial tone. So my morning work started 3 hours late... but at least it started.

Enough of the technobabble.

For lunch, Epril and I went out and bought a new router (2,600 baht... $75) and then joined Stan for lunch at Valentino's. There, he introduced us to Jay from England, and his newly-arrived girlfriend from The Philippines, Precil. It's like being welcomed into the "new parent's social circle" at the local park when you show up with your infant in a stroller: It's a requirement that you have to become friends with other people who are in the same new family situation you are in. Any fellow with a Filipina girlfriend automatically becomes one of my friends, and Epril automatically becomes friends with the fellow's girlfriend. Making new friends has never been easier, it seems.

In the afternoon, I miraculously managed to get the new router configured with only one phone call to TOT, who provide my internet. Then it was back to work, and I managed to finish out the day at 2,000 lines. I need to pick that up a bit.


Epril sandwiched between Fred and
Owen. Yeah... Sorry about that
one Sunshine.


The new girls at TQ2 are a little fuller
than average... just the way I like them,
but it is giving anti-fat Stan fits. If
the girls aren't skinny as a rail with
no boobs, he considers them obese.
In the evening, Epril and I went to TQ2 for owner Alf's welcome-back party. Stan, Jeff, Fred, Owen, Geordan, and Champion's owner Mr. Jew were all there. Everybody bought me drinks... I bought everyone drinks.

I remember about a year ago, I said to somebody, "Boy, I love ACDC. If there was a bar that played nothing but ACDC music, that would be so cool." I don't know if I had anything to do with it, but on Saturday night at Champion, the DJ played 6 ACDC songs in a row, and then tonight at TQ2, every other song was an ACDC song. Well, I'm sure that Bon Scott is looking down from heaven, smiling with the knowledge that his music has become the official soundtrack to Naked Girls Dancing.

No comments: